I thought that Synanon wouldn't interest me at the slightest, but it was really interesting when I really dug into it. What I thought Synanon-- not even close. I thought it had the same outcome as Jonestown, and when I found out that it didn't-- it was a relief. Only because when our class was focusing on Jonestown and then we followed up with that documentary on Jonestown, it truly broke my heart because of the pain those people endured. It still makes me sick to my stomach even thinking about it-- I can't imagine learning that, that would be the last day I would see anyone I loved.
I think once a person learns about the horrible things that went on within these two cults specifically, they can't feel anything but sympathy because it's so hard to put yourself in their shoes-- and I think it's actually really humbling.
It's not everyday that you take a class on cults and communes specifically, and now that it's coming to an end, I think i've come out with the knowledge and wondering mind that I want to seek more information about different cults that are in midst.
I think doing research on different cults, is not only giving us the knowledge of that specific cult but its also helping us understand people more. The more information we acquire, the more we can understand different religions, and cults.
This is a post that could easily be a duel blog and journal. It was good how you incorporated your own feelings and attitudes. I also agree with how doing more research also helps us understand those people.
ReplyDelete